ESA. Threat to the disabled?
Bob
2010-09-19 16:06:24 UTC
A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is affecting
disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years and the stress of
the thought that I might be forced back to work next year is already having
a bad effect on the slow improvement of my mental health.

Apparently she's gathered her impression from reading 'The Guardian'. She
also mentioned a Facebook page that seems to be gathering others concerned
about this. They're named after the black triangle badge used in Nazi
Concentration Camps to indicate 'Work-shy inmates, where that definition
covered a range of disabled groups.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Triangle-Anti-Defamation-Campaign-In-Defence-of-Disabled-Claimants/117145668332176
Can anyone tell me if this situation really is as bad as she thinks?

And if so, what can be done about it?

Here's what Wiki says about the Black Triangle Badge:
Individuals deemed "anti-social" had to wear the Black Triangle. Many of
Black Triangle prisoners were either mentally retarded or mentally ill. The
homeless were also included, as were alcoholics, the habitually "work-shy,"
prostitutes, and others (including draft dodgers, pacifists and even
aristocrats. Romani or Roma people, also known as Gypsies, were usually
classed with Black Triangle prisoners, but some concentration camps gave
them a separate badge - the Brown Triangle - instead.

Bob
-------------
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-20 21:49:46 UTC
On 19 Sep, 17:06, "Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote:
> A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is affecting
> disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years and the stress of
> the thought that I might be forced back to work next year is already having
> a bad effect on the slow improvement of my mental health.
>
> Apparently she's gathered her impression from reading 'The Guardian'. She
> also mentioned a Facebook page that seems to be gathering others concerned
> about this. They're named after the black triangle badge used in Nazi
> Concentration Camps to indicate 'Work-shy inmates, where that definition
> covered a range of disabled groups.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Triangle-Anti-Defamation-Campaign...
> Can anyone tell me if this situation really is as bad as she thinks?
>
> And if so, what can be done about it?
>
> Here's what Wiki says about  the Black Triangle Badge:
> Individuals deemed "anti-social" had to wear the Black Triangle. Many of
> Black Triangle prisoners were either mentally retarded or mentally ill. The
> homeless were also included, as were alcoholics, the habitually "work-shy,"
> prostitutes, and others (including draft dodgers, pacifists and even
> aristocrats. Romani or Roma people, also known as Gypsies, were usually
> classed with Black Triangle prisoners, but some concentration camps gave
> them a separate badge - the Brown Triangle - instead.
>
> Bob
> -------------

They are rather taking things a bit far with the comparison to the
black triangle.

I suspect part of the problem is that incapacity benefit wasn't a
benefit for those unable to work, it was for those unable to work in a
particular job.
Doesn't mean all jobs are out of reach, a disabled roofer may not be
able to work on a roof again but could he work in an office?
Some who ended up on incapacity benefit did so simply because their
employer sick pay ran out.

Plus for many years the jobcentre 'encouraged' people who were unable
to do a job due to illness or disability to go onto incapacity
benefit.

The result? Many on the benefit who could work, but had some jobs they
couldn't do.

So Labour brought in the idea of moving people off incapacity, while
also keeping a sickness benefit for those who were classed as unable
to work.

The choice is :

Leave people on benefit and never expect them to work again.
Or.
Get some of them onto other benefits, screw up the unemployment
figures for a bit but ultimately help some (and it is some) back into
work of some sort.

Martin <><
Robbie
2010-09-21 00:01:10 UTC
On 20/09/2010 22:49, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 19 Sep, 17:06, "Bob"<***@abccc.com> wrote:
>> A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is affecting
>> disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years and the stress of
>> the thought that I might be forced back to work next year is already having
>> a bad effect on the slow improvement of my mental health.
>>
>> Apparently she's gathered her impression from reading 'The Guardian'. She
>> also mentioned a Facebook page that seems to be gathering others concerned
>> about this. They're named after the black triangle badge used in Nazi
>> Concentration Camps to indicate 'Work-shy inmates, where that definition
>> covered a range of disabled groups.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Triangle-Anti-Defamation-Campaign...
>> Can anyone tell me if this situation really is as bad as she thinks?
>>
>> And if so, what can be done about it?
>>
>> Here's what Wiki says about the Black Triangle Badge:
>> Individuals deemed "anti-social" had to wear the Black Triangle. Many of
>> Black Triangle prisoners were either mentally retarded or mentally ill. The
>> homeless were also included, as were alcoholics, the habitually "work-shy,"
>> prostitutes, and others (including draft dodgers, pacifists and even
>> aristocrats. Romani or Roma people, also known as Gypsies, were usually
>> classed with Black Triangle prisoners, but some concentration camps gave
>> them a separate badge - the Brown Triangle - instead.
>>
>> Bob
>> -------------
>
> They are rather taking things a bit far with the comparison to the
> black triangle.
>
> I suspect part of the problem is that incapacity benefit wasn't a
> benefit for those unable to work, it was for those unable to work in a
> particular job.

Actually, that's not true. Incapacity Benefit was a reform of the old
Invalidity Benefit which had been linked to the inability to do a
certain job. The medical test for Invalidity Benefit involved a decision
being made on whether someone could do their own job and if not then the
person could be found fit for other type of work. The decision had to
include a list of jobs that the person could (reasonably) do. If there
were none the person could reasonably do then they were deemed unfit for
work.

Incapacity Benefit was introduced in 1995. For the first 28 weeks of
claiming incapacity the person was subject to an "own occupation test"
if they had recently been in employment but once those 28 weeks had
elapsed (or if the person hadn't recently been in employment) the test
was widened to an "all work test" which was renamed in 1999 to a
"personal capability test". There was no test of capacity for certain
occupations from that point onwards. If the person failed to get enough
points they were deemed fit to work. Under the new Employment And
Support Allowance that part of the benefit scheme is exactly the same.
The test itself has been toughened up but the application of the test,
the 15 points threshold, has not altered. What has changed is that the
initial 28 week "own occupation test" period has been replaced by a 13
week assessment period to determine whether a person has "limited
capacity for work related activity".

> Doesn't mean all jobs are out of reach, a disabled roofer may not be
> able to work on a roof again but could he work in an office?
> Some who ended up on incapacity benefit did so simply because their
> employer sick pay ran out.

Which is what happens under ESA - were you not aware of that? Once 28
weeks SSP is exhausted the option is to claim ESA rather than IB. And
benefit amounts rise quicker too under the new system, with the highest
amounts being paid after 13 weeks on ESA rather than 26 or 52 weeks on IB.

> Plus for many years the jobcentre 'encouraged' people who were unable
> to do a job due to illness or disability to go onto incapacity
> benefit.

No. It was Invalidity Benefit, back in the 80s. Not Incapacity Benefit
from 1995 onwards. The push to get people on IVB was when unemployment
was at 3 million in the early to mid 80s. After Restart was introduced
in 1986 for the long term unemployed this "encouragement" stopped so
that even in 1992 when unemployment rose sharply again and briefly
touched 3m once more, that same encouragement wasn't as noticeable. This
is because people on Restart weren't included in official unemployment
figures.

> The result? Many on the benefit who could work, but had some jobs they
> couldn't do.

Still the same under ESA. The alleged change there is that ESA is
supposed to tailor help towards helping people back into the world of
work or at least back into working towards returning to work. Financial
constraints are already proving to be problematic. In addition, that
same help existed under IB but was again totally underfunded.

> So Labour brought in the idea of moving people off incapacity, while
> also keeping a sickness benefit for those who were classed as unable
> to work.

The general idea behind ESA isn't that bad to be honest. It is more
focussed than IB and it better structured. My problem is with the
medical part of the Work Capability Assessment, primarily for people
with mental health problems. The physical health part of the medical is
tougher but not that much different. For people with mental health
problems the WCA test is so radically different in approach to the old
PCA that people with mild to moderate mental health problems are more
likely than not to fail the WCA whereas they would most likely have
passed the PCA. Yet these people are often the ones who need the extra
assistance in finding work that remaining on ESA would have brought.

> The choice is :
>
> Leave people on benefit and never expect them to work again.
> Or.
> Get some of them onto other benefits, screw up the unemployment
> figures for a bit but ultimately help some (and it is some) back into
> work of some sort.

while leaving all the others who never will find a job to fester on JSA
but at a saving of £27 per week per claimant.

ABC of ESA
2010-09-21 10:28:55 UTC
The ESA medical a joint enterprise of DWP "The Department of
Witchhunts and pickpockets " and ATOS or "Dont give ATOSS".
The medical is set up so just attending fails you:
During the medical you may appear to be asked general chatty
questions. Be careful how you answer them or the answers below may be
applied to you

Was driven to medical exam?
Claimant has no difficulty sitting for long periods of time (Physical
Section)

Drove yourself?
Claimant has no difficulty sitting for long periods of time and has no
problem initiating and sustaining action (Mental Health and Physical
Section)

Arrived by public transport?
Claimant has no difficulty standing, sitting and initiating and
sustaining personal action. (Physical and mental health section)

Appearance clean and tidy?
Claimant has no difficulty reaching or with manual dexterity does not
need encouragement to dress.

Arrived and went to reception to give your name and appointment
letter?
Claimant does not have problems with memory and communication (mental
health)

Sat down until doctor called your name?
Does not suffer from agoraphobia to any serious extent and can sit for
long period.

Did not ask for key to use toilet?
Does not have problems with incontinence and voiding

See if you can pass the ESA medical quiz! http://www.abcofesa.co.uk/
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-22 07:28:48 UTC
On 21 Sep, 11:28, ABC of ESA <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> The ESA medical a joint enterprise of DWP "The Department of
> Witchhunts and pickpockets " and ATOS or "Dont give ATOSS".
> The medical is set up so just attending fails you:
> During the medical you may appear to be asked general chatty
> questions.  Be careful how you answer them or the answers below may be
> applied to you
>
> Was driven to medical exam?
> Claimant has no difficulty sitting for long periods of time (Physical
> Section)
>
> Drove yourself?
> Claimant has no difficulty sitting for long periods of time and has no
> problem initiating and sustaining action (Mental Health and Physical
> Section)
>
> Arrived by public transport?
> Claimant has no difficulty standing, sitting and initiating and
> sustaining personal action. (Physical and mental health section)
>
> Appearance clean and tidy?
> Claimant has no difficulty reaching or with manual dexterity does not
> need encouragement to dress.
>
> Arrived and went to reception to give your name and appointment
> letter?
> Claimant does not have problems with memory and communication (mental
> health)
>
> Sat down until doctor called your name?
> Does not suffer from agoraphobia to any serious extent and can sit for
> long period.
>
> Did not ask for key to use toilet?
> Does not have problems with incontinence and voiding
>
> See if you can pass the ESA medical quiz!  http://www.abcofesa.co.uk/

OK, sounds like observations. Which of those exactly prevents working?

Martin <><
Niteawk
2010-09-24 12:01:24 UTC

I scored 100 points, that is 85 more than you need to get ESA. he he ;)
Khan
2010-09-24 15:15:20 UTC

I answered genuinely and got 0/400
Fredxx
2010-09-21 16:10:02 UTC
"Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote in message
>A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is affecting
>disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years and the stress of
>the thought that I might be forced back to work next year is already having
>a bad effect on the slow improvement of my mental health.

Working damages your mental health? Studies have shown the reverse.
Perhaps you're thinking too short term. The stress will be finding one!!
Niteawk
2010-09-24 12:07:50 UTC

BS, if someone suffers from stress, they last thing they need is a job.
Fredxx
2010-09-24 13:59:33 UTC
Niteawk wrote:
> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote in message
>>> A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is
>>> affecting disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years
>>> and the stress of the thought that I might be forced back to work
>>> next year is already having a bad effect on the slow improvement of
>>> my mental health.
>>
>> Working damages your mental health? Studies have shown the reverse.
>> Perhaps you're thinking too short term. The stress will be finding
>> one!!
>
> BS, if someone suffers from stress, they last thing they need is a
> job.

When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
their back, then I might agree with you. JSA or an equivalent would
suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.

However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
shouldn't be forced to work.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-24 15:31:05 UTC
On 24 Sep, 14:59, "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote:
> Niteawk wrote:
> > "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message
>
> >> "Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote in message
>
> >> Working damages your mental health?  Studies have shown the reverse.
> >> Perhaps you're thinking too short term.  The stress will be finding
> >> one!!
>
> > BS, if someone suffers from stress, they last thing they need is a
> > job.
>
> When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
> their back, then I might agree with you.  JSA or an equivalent would
> suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.
>
> However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
> shouldn't be forced to work.- Hide quoted text -

And people who don't want to meet benefit requirements shouldn't be
forced to receive benefits.....
Still, plenty of 13 week training courses and 6 month placement
schemes for those who don't want to work but want benefits......

Martin <><
Matchstalk Man
2010-09-24 17:39:16 UTC
On 24/09/2010 16:31, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 24 Sep, 14:59, "Fredxx"<***@spam.com> wrote:

> And people who don't want to meet benefit requirements shouldn't be
> forced to receive benefits.....
> Still, plenty of 13 week training courses and 6 month placement
> schemes for those who don't want to work but want benefits......
>
> Martin<><

The UK is a very rich country. We can afford to all have a basic
standard and not do a 9-5 job if we choose.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-24 21:43:42 UTC
On 24 Sep, 18:39, Matchstalk Man <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/09/2010 16:31, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > On 24 Sep, 14:59, "Fredxx"<***@spam.com>  wrote:

> > And people who don't want to meet benefit requirements shouldn't be
> > forced to receive benefits.....
> > Still, plenty of 13 week training courses and 6 month placement
> > schemes for those who don't want to work but want benefits......
>
> > Martin<><
>
> The UK is a very rich country. We can afford to all have a basic
> standard and not do a 9-5 job if we choose.

We do have a basic standard. Its called benefit.
Governments tend to want to get people off benefit and paying more
into the system. Plenty of jobs aren't 9 to 5 - a good thing too as I
have to catch buses as early as 7 in the morning or as late as 10 at
night.

Martin <><
Mike
2010-09-28 16:03:24 UTC
On 24/09/2010 6:39 PM, Matchstalk Man wrote:
> On 24/09/2010 16:31, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On 24 Sep, 14:59, "Fredxx"<***@spam.com> wrote:

>> And people who don't want to meet benefit requirements shouldn't be
>> forced to receive benefits.....
>> Still, plenty of 13 week training courses and 6 month placement
>> schemes for those who don't want to work but want benefits......
>>
>> Martin<><
>
> The UK is a very rich country. We can afford to all have a basic
> standard and not do a 9-5 job if we choose.

If we all chose to work part time or not at all then who would pay the
taxes to pay benefits and allowances?

Mike
Niteawk
2010-09-24 16:26:23 UTC
> Niteawk wrote:
>> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Working damages your mental health? Studies have shown the reverse.
>>> Perhaps you're thinking too short term. The stress will be finding
>>> one!!
>>
>> BS, if someone suffers from stress, the last thing they need is a
>> job.
>
> When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
> their back, then I might agree with you. JSA or an equivalent would
> suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.

Stress is a debilitating illness that can have many physical symptoms and
mental health problems, being under constant stress can actually kill you.
It has nothing to do with something as trivial as finding the next morsel
food. If that was all it amounted to then it would not be a problem

> However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
> shouldn't be forced to work.

We can sort of agree here, people are not being forced to work as such, they
are being forced to apply for MW crap jobs, that is the problem. I think
everyone wants to work if they can get the jobs they want, but the system
does not support this. The system thinks it can make people work by
threatening them with sanctions to apply for jobs that they would positively
hate doing and would rather die first.

The system is designed to generate money for quangos rather than to help
people into work. It cost a lot of tax payers money to create this illusion
of help without actually helping anyone apart from Camerons public school
cronies who do very well out of it. When you can create jobs for your
cronies, there is no need to worry about the rest of us. ;)
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-24 21:53:33 UTC
On 24 Sep, 17:26, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message

> > Niteawk wrote:
> >> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message

> >> BS, if someone suffers from stress, the last thing they need is a
> >> job.
>
> > When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
> > their back, then I might agree with you.  JSA or an equivalent would
> > suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.
>
> Stress is a debilitating illness that can have many physical symptoms and
> mental health problems, being under constant stress can actually kill you.
> It has nothing to do with something as trivial as finding the next morsel
> food. If that was all it amounted to then it would not be a problem
>
> > However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
> > shouldn't be forced to work.
>
> We can sort of agree here, people are not being forced to work as such, they
> are being forced to apply for MW crap jobs, that is the problem. I think
> everyone wants to work if they can get the jobs they want, but the system
> does not support this. The system thinks it can make people work by
> threatening them with sanctions to apply for jobs that they would positively
> hate doing and would rather die first.
>
> The system is designed to generate money for quangos rather than to help
> people into work. It cost a lot of tax payers money to create this illusion
> of help without actually helping anyone apart from Camerons public school
> cronies who do very well out of it. When you can create jobs for your
> cronies, there is no need to worry about the rest of us. ;)- Hide quoted text -

Ah yes, a Labour idea that helps Camerons public school cronies.

Anything wrong with public school? Or just cronies?

Government does buy a good chunk of services in this country using
taxpayer money. Thereby creating (or maintaining) jobs. From aircraft
carriers to wind turbines to phone service and data network
packages....

Can always apply for the jobs you want - nothing to say the employer
will want you in return, but can always apply. System supports this -
but system also supports people looking for work, not just their
preferred job.

Martin <><
Niteawk
2010-09-24 23:21:26 UTC
<***@hotmail.com> wrote in message

As usual when its BS, no indents again. It does not matter which party is in
power, they continue where the others left off. The Tories created poll tax
which then became council tax. When Labour got in, what happened, did they
scrap it, did they fuck. Like everything that is done by government in this
country, it makes no difference who is in power, nothing changes. Its always
going to be Labour or Tory and the only difference between them is the
company they keep, the Tories look after their cronies and Labour does the
same. All the election does is decide who's cronies gets the best paid jobs
and the lucrative contracts that go with them. You will always have one lot
who gets paid to sit around in parliament doing nothing while the other lot
pretend they are running the country.

The only thing that really changes is the name of the PM. ;)
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-25 06:24:25 UTC
On 25 Sep, 00:21, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> As usual when its BS, no indents again. It does not matter which party is in
> power, they continue where the others left off. The Tories created poll tax
> which then became council tax. When Labour got in, what happened, did they
> scrap it, did they fuck. Like everything that is done by government in this
> country, it makes no difference who is in power, nothing changes. Its always
> going to be Labour or Tory and the only difference between them is the
> company they keep, the Tories look after their cronies and Labour does the
> same. All the election does is decide who's cronies gets the best paid jobs
> and the lucrative contracts that go with them. You will always have one lot
> who gets paid to sit around in parliament doing nothing while the other lot
> pretend they are running the country.
>
> The only thing that really changes is the name of the PM. ;)

And as usual, no BS by me.

Martin <><
Fredxx
2010-09-27 08:34:47 UTC
"Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Niteawk wrote:
>>> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> BS, if someone suffers from stress, the last thing they need is a
>>> job.
>>
>> When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
>> their back, then I might agree with you. JSA or an equivalent would
>> suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.
>>

> Stress is a debilitating illness that can have many physical symptoms and
> mental health problems, being under constant stress can actually kill you.
> It has nothing to do with something as trivial as finding the next morsel
> food. If that was all it amounted to then it would not be a problem

At one time is was to do with a choice of starving or finding food. That
tends to overcome stress. Suicide is lowest at times of real famine.

These days stress is more to do with officialdom or not being able to afford
a new gadget.

>> However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
>> shouldn't be forced to work.
>>

> We can sort of agree here, people are not being forced to work as such,
> they are being forced to apply for MW crap jobs, that is the problem. I
> think everyone wants to work if they can get the jobs they want, but the
> system does not support this. The system thinks it can make people work by
> threatening them with sanctions to apply for jobs that they would
> positively hate doing and would rather die first.
>
> The system is designed to generate money for quangos rather than to help
> people into work. It cost a lot of tax payers money to create this
> illusion of help without actually helping anyone apart from Camerons
> public school cronies who do very well out of it. When you can create jobs
> for your cronies, there is no need to worry about the rest of us. ;)

I see no need for the MW. We should all receive the equivalent of tax
credits (an allowance) and then pay tax on income.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-28 07:10:14 UTC
On 27 Sep, 09:34, "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote:
> "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message

> >> When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
> >> their back, then I might agree with you.  JSA or an equivalent would
> >> suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.
>
> > Stress is a debilitating illness that can have many physical symptoms and
> > mental health problems, being under constant stress can actually kill you.
> > It has nothing to do with something as trivial as finding the next morsel
> > food. If that was all it amounted to then it would not be a problem
>
> At one time is was to do with a choice of starving or finding food.  That
> tends to overcome stress.  Suicide is lowest at times of real famine.
>
> These days stress is more to do with officialdom or not being able to afford
> a new gadget.
>

> >> However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
> >> shouldn't be forced to work.
>
> > We can sort of agree here, people are not being forced to work as such,
> > they are being forced to apply for MW crap jobs, that is the problem. I
> > think everyone wants to work if they can get the jobs they want, but the
> > system does not support this. The system thinks it can make people work by
> > threatening them with sanctions to apply for jobs that they would
> > positively hate doing and would rather die first.
>
> > The system is designed to generate money for quangos rather than to help
> > people into work. It cost a lot of tax payers money to create this
> > illusion of help without actually helping anyone apart from Camerons
> > public school cronies who do very well out of it. When you can create jobs
> > for your cronies, there is no need to worry about the rest of us. ;)
>
> I see no need for the MW.  We should all receive the equivalent of tax
> credits (an allowance) and then pay tax on income.- Hide quoted text -

In the meantime, we have minimum wage plus a load of jobs with higher
than minimum wage.
Not so many years ago we didn't have minimum wage - and people were
doing unskilled work for £2 an hour. Now its almost £6 an hour for the
same work.

Don't recall hearing of any country that has successfully introduced a
universal allowance for everyone and then pay tax on income. Pretty
sure we don't want to start experimenting with our own national
finances.

Martin <><
Fredxx
2010-09-28 08:42:10 UTC
***@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 27 Sep, 09:34, "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote:
>> "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>> I see no need for the MW. We should all receive the equivalent of tax
>> credits (an allowance) and then pay tax on income.- Hide quoted text
>> -

> In the meantime, we have minimum wage plus a load of jobs with higher
> than minimum wage.
> Not so many years ago we didn't have minimum wage - and people were
> doing unskilled work for £2 an hour. Now its almost £6 an hour for the
> same work.
>
> Don't recall hearing of any country that has successfully introduced a
> universal allowance for everyone and then pay tax on income. Pretty
> sure we don't want to start experimenting with our own national
> finances.

What are tax credits? They're pretty close to what I'm saying, though the
administration of the system sucks.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-28 09:36:38 UTC
On 28 Sep, 09:42, "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote:
> ***@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On 27 Sep, 09:34, "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote:
> >> "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> >> I see no need for the MW. We should all receive the equivalent of tax
> >> credits (an allowance) and then pay tax on income.- Hide quoted text
> >> -

> > In the meantime, we have minimum wage plus a load of jobs with higher
> > than minimum wage.
> > Not so many years ago we didn't have minimum wage - and people were
> > doing unskilled work for £2 an hour. Now its almost £6 an hour for the
> > same work.
>
> > Don't recall hearing of any country that has successfully introduced a
> > universal allowance for everyone and then pay tax on income. Pretty
> > sure we don't want to start experimenting with our own national
> > finances.
>
> What are tax credits?  They're pretty close to what I'm saying, though the
> administration of the system sucks.- Hide quoted text -

Tax credits are free money given to you if you meet certain criteria
for previous or current benefit use, hours worked, age and income.
Many adults working 29 hours wouldn't get it, if doing a free paper
delivery every week on top so adding more hours suddenly can maybe get
free money chucked at them in the form of tax credits.
Even pensioners can get it.

Martin <><
Mike
2010-09-28 16:06:28 UTC
On 24/09/2010 2:59 PM, Fredxx wrote:
> Niteawk wrote:
>> "Fredxx"<***@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bob"<***@abccc.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Working damages your mental health? Studies have shown the reverse.
>>> Perhaps you're thinking too short term. The stress will be finding
>>> one!!
>>
>> BS, if someone suffers from stress, they last thing they need is a
>> job.
>
> When their stress is from finding their next morsel or food, or a coat on
> their back, then I might agree with you. JSA or an equivalent would
> suffice, no need for anything more if work is too stressful.
>
> However I do beleive work is optional, and people who don't want to
> shouldn't be forced to work.

Unfortunately many seem to share your views and choose not to work and
rely on others to pay taxes and support them.

It's funny how no one ever gets too stressed to watch daytime TV or
wander around drinking cheep cans of cider and lager.

Mike
Niteawk
2010-09-30 10:26:45 UTC
If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire working
life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the dole
gets.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-30 11:36:41 UTC
On 30 Sep, 11:26, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
> bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
> pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire working
> life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the dole
> gets.

So you don't want people rewarded for working then?

Just kick those who want to earn lots of money out of the country and
to hell with the taxes they pay that help support you eh?

Martin <><
mike
2010-09-30 17:12:33 UTC
On 30/09/2010 12:36, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 30 Sep, 11:26, "Niteawk"<***@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
>> bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
>> pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire working
>> life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the dole
>> gets.
>
> So you don't want people rewarded for working then?
>
> Just kick those who want to earn lots of money out of the country and
> to hell with the taxes they pay that help support you eh?
>
> Martin<><

Whilst niteawk has a point you cannot ignore the scams etc of ordinary
people because collectively they will have a big impact.

It's like ignoring petty vandalism and anti social behaviour, before you
know where you are you have mothers torching themselves and their
disabled daughters, OAPs falling down open manholes and law abiding
citizens getting beaten to a pulp for asking some little twat to stop
kicking the fence.

Zero tolerance of fraud at all levels is the best policy IMO anything
else invites it.

Mike
Niteawk
2010-09-30 18:13:05 UTC
"mike" <***@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On 30/09/2010 12:36, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On 30 Sep, 11:26, "Niteawk"<***@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
>>> bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
>>> pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire
>>> working
>>> life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the
>>> dole
>>> gets.
>>
>> So you don't want people rewarded for working then?
>>
>> Just kick those who want to earn lots of money out of the country and
>> to hell with the taxes they pay that help support you eh?
>>
>> Martin<><
>
> Whilst niteawk has a point you cannot ignore the scams etc of ordinary
> people because collectively they will have a big impact.
>
> It's like ignoring petty vandalism and anti social behaviour, before you
> know where you are you have mothers torching themselves and their disabled
> daughters, OAPs falling down open manholes and law abiding citizens
> getting beaten to a pulp for asking some little twat to stop kicking the
> fence.
>
> Zero tolerance of fraud at all levels is the best policy IMO anything else
> invites it.
>
> Mike

All the above can be attributed to the greed of our masters, the police are
not interested in tackling antisocial behaviour, todays yobs know the law
will do nothing because it costs money to keep them in check.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-30 20:30:28 UTC
On 30 Sep, 18:12, mike <***@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On 30/09/2010 12:36, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > On 30 Sep, 11:26, "Niteawk"<***@btinternet.com>  wrote:
> >> If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
> >> bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
> >> pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire working
> >> life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the dole
> >> gets.
>
> > So you don't want people rewarded for working then?
>
> > Just kick those who want to earn lots of money out of the country and
> > to hell with the taxes they pay that help support you eh?
>
> > Martin<><
>
> Whilst niteawk has a point you cannot ignore the scams etc of ordinary
> people because collectively they will have a big impact.
>
> It's like ignoring petty vandalism and anti social behaviour, before you
> know where you are you have mothers torching themselves and their
> disabled daughters, OAPs falling down open manholes and law abiding
> citizens getting beaten to a pulp for asking some little twat to stop
> kicking the fence.
>
> Zero tolerance of fraud at all levels is the best policy IMO anything
> else invites it.
>
> Mike

True, zero tolerence of fraud is a good policy. Now if only the courts
could see it that way.....
Way too often I read in the local free press about someone fiddling
and the courts not treating it seriously.
Is there any real difference between fiddling from your employer and
fiddling from the government? Is bank robbery worse than benefit
robbery?
Courts still seem to think so.

However quite a bit of difference between fraud and making a profit
from job/services funded by the taxpayer.
With the next back to work scheme and the proposed payment idea, every
organisation taking a risk will front load the payment to reflect the
risk of no payment for some work. May seem like its fleecing the
taxpayer - for say £10k per person helped into work as an example -
but its setting price based on risk.
If spending the resources to help 200 people to start work in a year
but only getting full payment on 5 people in work the required length
of time, the money for the 5 has to pay for the cost of the 200.

Martin <><
Niteawk
2010-09-30 18:05:58 UTC
> On 30 Sep, 11:26, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
>> bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
>> pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire
>> working
>> life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the
>> dole
>> gets.
>
> So you don't want people rewarded for working then?
>
> Just kick those who want to earn lots of money out of the country and
> to hell with the taxes they pay that help support you eh?
>
> Martin <><
#

As usual you have got the wrong end of the stick, the people I am talking
about dont have to earn fuck all, they pay themselves out of OUR TAXES. AFYI
the kicking out started when the cons were last in power, they sold all our
utilities to foreigners. I have no idea how that is meant to help people in
UK.
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-30 20:43:09 UTC
On 30 Sep, 19:05, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1fe7d4d9-e0f4-4224-8214-***@i3g2000yql.googlegroups.com...> On 30 Sep, 11:26, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> If you want something to moan about, start complaining about the robbing
> >> bastards who become multi millionaires out of our taxes, those who get
> >> pensions and bonuses that pay more than you can earn in your entire
> >> working
> >> life. Thats what you need to moan about, not what some tosspot on the
> >> dole
> >> gets.
>
> > So you don't want people rewarded for working then?
>
> > Just kick those who want to earn lots of money out of the country and
> > to hell with the taxes they pay that help support you eh?
>
> > Martin  <><
>
> #
>
> As usual you have got the wrong end of the stick, the people I am talking
> about dont have to earn fuck all, they pay themselves out of OUR TAXES. AFYI
> the kicking out started when the cons were last in power, they sold all our
> utilities to foreigners. I have no idea how that is meant to help people in
> UK.

Really? I'm not a foreigner and I own part of some of the utilities.
Its called having shares.
Not a massive return but better than the bank interest rates most
years.
Many other non-foreigners also own shares in utilities. Oh, and a
number of UK investment schemes including pension schemes own shares
in utilities too.
And will also own non-UK companies that way too - it spreads the
wealth around along with spreading the risk.

Your taxes helps pay for my job - got a nice little government grant
last year without too much paperwork (some can be pretty expensive
free money, this one wasn't).
Government grants amounted to many millions of pounds last year
(Labour government) paid out for work government wanted doing. Plus a
share of the future jobs fund, that nice little billion pound Labour
initiative that was effectively a small and short YTS scheme, for
which we got some staff and a load of paperwork.
Taxes pay for work the government wants. You don't have to like that
work but as you aren't in political power you don't get to decide who
gets the money.

Run for office. Its really not that hard to do.

Martin <><
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-24 15:29:19 UTC
On 24 Sep, 13:07, "Niteawk" <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote in message

> > "Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote in message
> >>A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is affecting
> >>disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years and the stress of
> >>the thought that I might be forced back to work next year is already
> >>having a bad effect on the slow improvement of my mental health.
>
> > Working damages your mental health?  Studies have shown the reverse.
> > Perhaps you're thinking too short term.  The stress will be finding one!!
>
> BS, if someone suffers from stress, they last thing they need is a job.

Depends what sort of stress.
Someone overstressing in a job may want to change jobs. Someone with
stress about staying on the dole may benefit from getting a job.
And some jobs have stress built in, though not commonly at a dangerous
level all the time.

Martin <><
m***@hotmail.com
2010-09-22 07:30:09 UTC
On 21 Sep, 17:10, "Fredxx" <***@spam.com> wrote:
> "Bob" <***@abccc.com> wrote in message

> >A friend recently scared me with her descriptions of how ESA is affecting
> >disabled people. I've been on IB and DLA for many years and the stress of
> >the thought that I might be forced back to work next year is already having
> >a bad effect on the slow improvement of my mental health.
>
> Working damages your mental health?  Studies have shown the reverse.
> Perhaps you're thinking too short term.  The stress will be finding one!!

The hunt for a job is part of the challenge. Keeping it is another
challenge.

Martin <><
Bob
2010-09-23 16:52:53 UTC
I was always good at getting jobs but couldn't cope with the stress when I
got them. Being a perfectionist I could pull off an impressive interview,
but that's quite a different thing to being able to perform to command full
time. The last job I had lasted 2 weeks but I ended up practically having a
nervous breakdown when a dilemma came up. I've had to try to face up to the
fact I can't work, but it doesn't come naturally as I was extremely
ambitious.
I asked my doctor about ESA and she said she thought a lot of people 'on the
sick' should be working, but I wasn't one of them. I asked if she was sure,
because I'm not. Basically she said wait until after I'm assessed and then
they can get into the details of an appeal etc., so I'm not going to worry
about it until then. I hope that conveys some of the reason why I needed to
ask about this here in the first place.

ABC of ESA: I tried your site. The automated test you have, to see if you
would qualify for ESA appeared to be rigged. I tried it several time and no
matter what you answer it says you answered something 'wrong'. I looked at
your forum and found you are asking £10 for a guide. Add to that that you
appear to be scare mongering about ESA in your post and I draw a very clear
impression you are not to be trusted and I can't recomend you to anyone
seeking help with ESA problems. Hope that helps with you public relations if
I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks for all the help,

Bob