Carers allowance confusion (robbie)
Thelibrarian
2010-10-20 09:00:15 UTC
Person A : Claims income support, disability living allowence, housing
benefit council tax.

Person A need help with day to day things and has a freind who can spare the
time of 35 hours a week to help her.

Person B : Claims income support, child tax credits, housiong benefit,
council tax benefit, child benefit.

Now person A wants to ask person B to claim carers allowance as they will be
looking after them, the question is will any of their benefits be affected ?
if so by how much and would they end up with less money.

All the information I read is too confusing for me to understand.

Thanks
Robbie
2010-10-20 13:33:12 UTC
Post by Thelibrarian
Person A : Claims income support, disability living allowence, housing
benefit council tax.
Person A need help with day to day things and has a freind who can spare the
time of 35 hours a week to help her.
Person B : Claims income support, child tax credits, housiong benefit,
council tax benefit, child benefit.
Now person A wants to ask person B to claim carers allowance as they will be
looking after them, the question is will any of their benefits be affected ?
if so by how much and would they end up with less money.
All the information I read is too confusing for me to understand.
Thanks
I'm not sure if the question is addressed to me or if you're called Robbie!

Two important questions:

1. does person A receive middle or higher rate care component of DLA and
2. does person A live alone?

If yes to both then person A will be (or should be) receiving an
additional amount of Income Support known as a "severe disability
premium" (SDP) which is paid in place of Carers' Allowance. Once CA is
claimed the SDP can no longer be paid. The result is Income Support will
reduce.

The SDP is currently worth £53.65 per week (as opposed to Carers
Allowance which is £53.90 per week).
Robbie
mike
2010-10-20 14:51:20 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Thelibrarian
[...]
Person B: CA will be taken into account in full, but IS will be reduced
by less than the amount of the CA as they will get Carer Premium added
to the IS assessment (approx £28 IIRC). Of course if IS is low it may
still cease altogether.

Mike