DLA
Gazz
2010-12-18 12:02:21 UTC
Do they still routinely refuse the first application for DLA? or is that
just a rumour by people who hate the system, and they are really very nice
people with our best interests at heart... lol.

Just my conditions have been getting steadily worse, so we were told to
claim dla, as they rekoned we more than meet the criteria, and people with
less problems get it (that was the cab welfare type bod, and the doctor
agreed too)

so put in an application, got help to fill it in at the cab, so hopefully
put the right things in the boxes... like for hobbies, list nothing but
breathing and farting, as owt else shows you have a life outside being
misserable from your medical problems :)

Got the refusal letter today, listed a lot of things saying stuff like 'you
do no need help getting in or out of bed, or being re-positioned during the
night, or help cooking a meal'
even tho we told them i do need help with those things on the form,

it's almost as if they were reading a blank application form, as almost
everything that was put down, they said i dont need help with,

Obviousely we will be going back to the cab on monday to see what to do
next, but it just seems weird how they have said i cant get it, due to not
needing help with things on the form, when over half of them i do,
m***@hotmail.com
2010-12-18 16:07:47 UTC
Post by Gazz
[...]
Not noticed them routinely refusing the first application for DLA. Is
this something new in the last 4 weeks?

Martin <><
Robbie
2010-12-19 00:02:59 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by Gazz
[...]
There seems to be a trend that initial claims for DLA are often refused
then a second application is accepted. The failure rate for first claims
is well over 50%, for second applications the failure rate is less.

The OP has two choices - appeal the decision or wait 6 months and
reapply if he thinks he does qualify.

Incidentally DLA is being abolished in 2013 and is being replaced by a
new benefit called PIP! That stands for Personal Independence Payment.
In what seems like a move back to the old style Attendance Allowance
pre-DLA days, all initial claims except for terminally ill claimants
will require an ATOS medical before any decision on a claim can be made
and the lowest rate of the new style care component is being abolished
completely, removing the "cooking test" lowest rate payment that many
people currently receive.
Robbie
m***@hotmail.com
2010-12-19 09:00:30 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by Gazz
[...]
Robbie- Hide quoted text -
If there is such a trend, then should the training of decision makers
making first decisions therefore not be looked at?
Or have they made a policy of turning down?

Not noticed much change myself but I only help a few claim DLA each
year these days.

PIP? The old attendance allowance days (and mobility allowance while
it was around) people used to complain bitterly taht they always had
to have a medical. And how the doctor saw them on a good day, how the
doctor saw them for only 10 minutes etc.
So bringing in DLA it was basically self assessment - no need for a
medical. And people complained bitterly that they had no medical, that
no-one had seen their problems.

Just can't win with people.

Martin <><
Robbie
2010-12-19 11:40:30 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by Robbie
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by Gazz
[...]
The reason for(re)introducing the medical is that the Government have
said that the amount of people claiming DLA is now reaching
unsustainable levels with currently over 3 million awards (1.8m of which
are made to people of working age) and the numbers are continuing to
grow at a high rate. Two thirds of payments are indefinite awards,
meaning no formal review procedure is factored into the claim. Not only
are the Government bringing in the medical as the gateway to the new PIP
benefit but almost everyone will have to be re-examined via another
medical at a set point and indefinite awards will end. The intention is
pretty obvious, to return to DLA award levels of the early 90s.

As for DM training needs when deciding on first claims, this has been
mentioned numerous times by disability organisations over the years
given the fact that first claims do seem to have such a high failure
rate (and a high appeal success rate) but nothing ever seems to have
happened. Another Government proposal is that the PIP decision making
process will be more transparent which should reduce inconsistencies. I
imagine that just means turning down more people whether it is their
first or subsequent claim!
Robbie
m***@hotmail.com
2010-12-19 23:13:48 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by Robbie
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by Gazz
[...]
I get suspicious when government talk about transparency. Generally it
means 'muddy the waters still more'.
Its one of the more recent buzzwords, another year or two it will be
replaced by something else. In the meantime it shows up in suprising
places.

The advantage of a medical, for all concerned, is that a medical
professional records on a standard (ish) form the answers to certain
questions - like 'How far can they walk?'.
Disadvantages is cost, quality of medical professional (used to be
masses of complaints against them in the early 1990s), and might see
someone on a good day rather than a bad day.

You wouldn't expect 3 million people to meet the rather limited
criteria for DLA. Not sure there's even 3 million people in the UK who
would be classed as disabled.
And plenty who are disabled who don't meet DLA criteria.

Martin <><
Ben Short
2011-01-09 01:04:14 UTC
Mart

My cousin worked for the DLA in Blackpool and they were told routinely to
put new applications in the bin with a refusal letter. Some were not even
opened and they were told to wait for the applicant to write in again asking
about the first application. They said only 6 on average would redo their
application.

He is now no longer in their employment but told me on several occasion
where they simply refused regardless. Quite often someone who has been
refused will not reapply. Yes some will and some won't.

Ben

Martin <><
Niteawk
2011-01-09 09:58:56 UTC
Post by Ben Short
Mart
My cousin worked for the DLA in Blackpool and they were told routinely to
put new applications in the bin with a refusal letter. Some were not even
opened and they were told to wait for the applicant to write in again
asking about the first application. They said only 6 on average would redo
their application.
He is now no longer in their employment but told me on several occasion
where they simply refused regardless. Quite often someone who has been
refused will not reapply. Yes some will and some won't.
Ben
Thats why I always make several copies, and when applying, I will send in 3
copies. One for them to lose, one to ignore and one to acknowledge. ;)
m***@hotmail.com
2011-01-09 21:23:30 UTC
Post by Ben Short
Mart
My cousin worked for the DLA in Blackpool and they were told routinely to
put new applications in the bin with a refusal letter. Some were not even
opened and they were told to wait for the applicant to write in again asking
about the first application. They said only 6 on average would redo their
application.
He is now no longer in their employment but told me on several occasion
where they simply refused regardless. Quite often someone who has been
refused will not reapply. Yes some will and some won't.
I spent 4 years at DLA in Blackpool, back when we first moved into
Warbreck House.
We were snowed under with work, unlimited overtime for years. We
weren't told to bin claims, though at one point the adjudication
officers
were told to award for a year as an award was far quicker to do a
letter for than a rejection.
Got through work quickly but caused problems for years down the line,
as people who had been awarded once could not accept that later they
weren't entitled. When in reality they weren't entitled anyway, just
awarded for a year to satisfy the civil service desire to meet
targets.

My wife recently applied for DLA, turned down and now going through
appeal. Had a letter saying the appeal will probably be July before
its heard. Claimed near the start of last year.....

Martin <><