Quitting ESA
Cesc Fabregas
2010-12-18 11:57:12 UTC
I have received a job offer starting next month and I would like to
give it a go.

I'd rather quit ESA now than handling the stress of a medical just to
earn a couple of weeks more benefit. What happens if I quit now? Would
the DWP be just happy to stop doshing me money or would I have to give
a valid justification?

What I mean is, would I still have to undergo a medical for the period
I claimed ESA?

CF
Robbie
2010-12-18 23:56:07 UTC
Post by Cesc Fabregas
I have received a job offer starting next month and I would like to
give it a go.
I'd rather quit ESA now than handling the stress of a medical just to
earn a couple of weeks more benefit. What happens if I quit now? Would
the DWP be just happy to stop doshing me money or would I have to give
a valid justification?
What I mean is, would I still have to undergo a medical for the period
I claimed ESA?
CF
Not if you are closing your claim. When is your medical and when are you
intending to start work? Also how long have you been on ESA? You just
have to tell the DWP you are starting work. If you just close your claim
by not attending the medical you will be storing up trouble for yourself.

If you go sick in the first 12 weeks of starting work you will not
qualify for SSP but will have to claim ESA instead. In addition, if you
are on the higher rate of ESA it may be worth protecting your benefit
which allows you to return to ESA at your current rate if you have to
give up work in the next 104 weeks. The drawback here is that the 12
weeks of having to claim ESA rather than SSP is extended to 104 weeks.
You have to claim the benefit protection within 4 weeks of your ESA
ending and your employment must start in those 4 weeks. Again, if you
fail to attend the medical without closing your claim beforehand then
you won't be able to get ESA in the next 6 months without attending a
medical first.
--
Robbie